gourds + bombilla for yerba mate
yerba mate helps to stimulate focus and clarity, boost physical energy, manage weight, and aid elimination of toxins.
yerba mate has been used as a base for herbal medicines in south america for centuries, and the plant’s benefits and therapeutic properties have recently been verified by a number of scientific studies. the chemical components of yerba mate are similar to those found in green tea, however, yerba mate is a more nutritious option.
yerba mate contains
vitamins such as a, c, e, b1, b2, niacin (b3), b5, b complex
minerals such as calcium, manganese, iron, selenium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc
additional compounds such as carotene, fatty acids, chlorophyll, flavonols, polyphenols, inositol, trace minerals, antioxidants, tannins, pantothenic acid, and 15 amino acids.
theophylline, theobromine, and caffeine.
curing the gourd
gently scrape the inside of the gourd with the tip of the bombilla to clean out any loose gourd particles and seed flesh.
2. gently shake the gourd so that the yerba mate is on one side, leaving an open area on the other side.
3. insert the filtered end of the bombilla into the bottom of the gourd.
4. gently pour a little cold water into the open area to moisten the yerba mate. this protects the flavor and health properties. leave the mate gourd tilted until the yerba mate has absorbed the water.
5. add hot water (but no hotter than150 degrees fahrenheit) until it reaches just below the top of the yerba mate. sip from the bombilla until all the liquid is gone, then add more hot water. the first few drinks are strong but the flavor will soften as more water is added for each drink.
6. now that the gourd is prepared, serve your friends one at time in a circular fashion. basically, pour, pass, sip. let them know not to move the bombilla, so as to not disturb the yerba.
7. the mate gourd can be refilled 15-20 times.
8. when finished using the gourd for the day, empty it out and give it a rinse with water. then using the bombilla, gently scrape out the gourd.
9. finally, place the gourd upside-down on the dish-rack or a warm place to completely dry. do not let your gourd stay moist for prolonged periods of time. for best results, let your gourd completely dry before using it again.